In Chip's Challenge, the death messages occur whenever any living Chip tile, defined as the moving Chip, any other Chip tiles, and the Swimming Chip, is killed. One of the following six messages will appear which notes what exactly happened.
- Ooops! Look out for creatures! - Chip was hit by a monster.
- Ooops! Don't step in the fire without fire boots! - Chip stepped on fire without fire boots, except when finding the fire on the lower layer of the grid under a tile other than a block.
- Ooops! Chip can't swim without flippers! - Chip stepped on water without flippers, except when finding the water on the lower layer of the grid under a tile other than a block.
- Ooops! Watch out for moving blocks! - a block landed on Chip, from sliding on ice, force floors, through a teleport, or landing on Chip after being cloned from a clone block.
- Ooops! Don't touch the bombs! - Chip ran into a bomb, again unless he found it on the lower layer of the grid under a tile other than a block.
- Ooops! Out of time! - Usually the rarest of the six, this results when the time limit expires.
In occurrences of the Transparency Glitch, a random death message may be shown as part of the result caused by the crash.
Chip's status is always kept by Chip's Challenge on coordinate [22, 32], which will allow the player to reset the status and avoid being killed by fatal obstacles.
- The death messages have entered into Chip's Challenge folklore as catchphrases, which have been known to recall memories of Chip's Challenge in even the most infrequent players. The most well-known ones are generally Look out for creatures and Chip can't swim without flippers.